PR Copywriting is written content conveyed through online media and print materials / media. Copy is content and content is King!
A copywriter is someone very skilled at conveying key messages in a way that resonates with a chosen audience. Copywriters are employed in advertising agencies and PR agencies alike but you can also find good copywriters out there in the freelance world. Copywriting is a skill and not all of us have it so if you don’t have it save yourself a lot of heartache and time and employ either an agency or a freelance copywriter with (for our purposes here) a thorough understanding of PR and how it works.
Our top tips for successful copywriting are:
- It’s all about benefits. What are the benefits of your product or service?
- What differentiates your product or service from those of your competition? This isn’t about slagging the competition off but about being crystal clear with your audience as to why your product or service is better
- Be clear on who your audience is for each piece you write and tailor it specifically for them
- Ask yourself WIIFM (What’s In It For Me?). Be clear about what you want as a result of writing the piece whilst answering your target audiences question ‘what’s in it for me?’
- Too many pieces are strewn with ‘we’ when it should be ‘you’. It’s all about your audience at this point onwards and not about you at all
- Different mediums need different styles or tones. Are you writing for the local paper or big national broadsheet; a woman’s magazine or industry tome? Using the correct language, style and tone will ensure you get the best return for each piece you write
- KIS (Keep It Simple) or avoid TMI (Too Much Information) – as fascinating as it might be for you is it really going to encourage your audience to do what you want them to do?
- If you are writing a piece of marketing material or an advert include a strong call to action, but the reverse is true if you are writing a press release where newsworthiness is key and any overt sell will ensure your piece is handed over to the advertising desk
Proofread, proofread, proofread!
For a free PR review contact our agency director Rachel on 01509 43 43 52 or complete the form below.